As a parent or caregiver of an asthmatic child, take the proper precautions to ensure your child’s health:
- Make an Asthma Action Plan with your child’s pediatrician and be sure to update this plan every year;
- Share this plan with family, childcare personnel, school officials, and coaches;
- Become aware of what triggers your child’s asthma and help limit your child’s exposure to these triggers;
- Never smoke or vape around your child or in a car with your child. In fact, it is against the law in Honolulu County and Hawaii County to smoke or vape in a vehicle with occupants under 18 years of age (under 13 years of age in Kauai County).
- Educate yourself by completing the American Lung Association’s Asthma Basics program online or by attending an Asthma 101 program in person.